Thursday, August 16, 2012

Cinco de Mayo


We threw a Cinco de Mayo dinner party this year and it was delicious!

I found all sorts of decorating ideas via Pinterest.  You can see all the fun things I've pinned on my Cinco de Mayo board.

I ruffled crepe paper with my sewing machine and it looked so festive.



My neighbor had colorful plates that I borrowed and I used wrapping paper for a runner.  I made tissue paper flowers and taped them to dowels with floral tape.  I put them in different bottles I'd save up.



I decorated the other table with cactus and candles. 


I threw our Ikea easel outside with a sombrero and even found a little one for our flying pig, Edmund.


I served all the fixings for tacos including barbacoa (I've concocted a knock off of Chipotle's Barbacoa in the crock pot), ranchero beans, and tortillas.  I also these made margarita cupcakes from Recipe Girl (I omitted the alcohol). 


I served Jarritos in a variety of flavors.


Everyone else brought food from chile rellenos, quesadillas, quacamole, queso, enchiladas and tamales.  We had TONS of food but it made for leftovers for all!



I provided moustaches and sombreros for fun.  Some wore them, some didn't.  





I also asked everyone to bring homemade salsa for a salsa cook-off.  Ryan, the winner, went home with a Virgin Mary candle.  I'm sure he was proud.


Good food and friends always make for a great party.  A little fun decor doesn't help either, though.

I sent our guests home with homemade pecan pralines.  I'm not going to lie.  These take some practice to perfect.  My first batch went into the trash.  The sugar had crystalized and I stirred too long.  I followed this recipe here and my second batch turned out.






Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. I had no idea you could sew streamers! What a fun party and great ideas. I wonder if I could get away with a Cinco de Mayo dinner party in September?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you make the paper flowers?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for writing this quality informational content. Your writing technique is impressive and enjoyable to read. If you want about top offshore software development india.

    ReplyDelete